Sunday, September 15, 2013

Getting some action

Here it is mid-September and I'm behind on the blog again.
I've got three more races completed and I've started training in earnest for the half marathon in November.
First, I did the Action Dash 5K on Labor Day with my friend Joann. This was one she suggested, as many members of her church were participating.
It was over in Piedmont Park, and wouldn't you know it, it absolutely poured for the race. Where was my rain poncho? Staying nice and dry in the closet. I didn't think it would rain that morning, so I didn't bring it.
Me and Joann, waiting out the rain delay
 It rained so hard, the race start was actually delayed by about 20 minutes. We were finally underway and Joann and I both got soaked.
Joann and I found some superheroes
The next weekend I didn't run a 5K, but I started training for the half in Savannah. It was hot and humid here in Atlanta, so the run just felt like a slog.
I ran the Kaiser Permanente Corporate Run/Walk 5K again this year with some co-workers on Sept. 12.
Last year we had a much bigger group participate, but this year it was just four of us. Others signed up, but traffic and a work event Sept. 13 kind of conspired to keep folks from the race.
But this weekend, fall really felt like it had arrived in the city.
My friend Erin and I ran the Wheelbarrow 5K in Reynoldstown on Saturday, one of the older neighborhoods in Atlanta. The start of the race was 55 degrees! I brought my sweatshirt, and almost expected to run in it, but then left it in the car.
Erin and me
The Kaiser race was so hot. 84 degrees through downtown Atlanta. But Saturday's race was so pleasant. I took almost three minutes off my 5K time from Thursday to Saturday.
I was on the computer tonight looking for races to sort of take me though the end of the year. I have races in mind, or I'm signed up, for races through the half marathon Nov. 9, but after that I'm pretty wide open.
The holiday season makes it harder to do races, but I hope I can keep fit following the half. it will be a time to consider what half marathon I might want to do in the spring. I'd love to be able to do a half marathon in the spring and then fall.
Now THAT would allow me to get in some racing action.

No comments:

Post a Comment