Saturday, July 5, 2014

Running the Rails

I've always said a horrible race before a big one means I'm going to do OK on the big race.
I hope that is true, because I did just horrible on the recent Run the Rails 5K in Atlanta.
I ran the race with my friend Rachel, and the course was along the new Atlanta Streetcar rail line, which has not been put into service yet.
The morning was hot and humid, and I hadn't been feeling well all week, so it really is no surprise I didn't do well.
The fun part of this race was, however, the number of folks I ran into who I know! And running downtown is always fun.
Rachel and me before the race. #BeDowntown
At Woodruff Park, the race start
Rachel's a faster runner than me, and I did try to keep up for about the first mile, but I just couldn't. My legs felt like lead. So she continued on and I walked and ran the rest of the way. What's below is a mix of her and my photos.
Rachel along the route

Running through downtown Atlanta

One of the new Atlanta Streetcars

Running through Centennial Olympic Park
Downtown from Centennial Olympic Park
The one good thing about Rachel being a faster runner than me is her being able to get a shot of me coming through the finish line!
Finisher!
Then it was fun running into so many folks I know. Michelle, Walter (whom I used to work with) and others.
Kwanzaa Hall and Rachel

Me, Walter and Rachel -- all once-co-workers!
Wes, Michelle and me

While I might not have felt great for the race, it was great to run this downtown and be part of the celebration of the new Streetcar.
The Equitable Building
Be Downtown
This was supposed to be a once and only race, meaning once the streetcar is operational, they won't be able to host the race again, so it was fun to Run the Rails just this once.

No comments:

Post a Comment