Saturday, July 11, 2015

Swimming the Peachtree Road Race

For this year's Peachtree Road Race 10K, swim fins might have been more helpful than running shoes.
I expected light off and on showers, if any rain, and instead I got a steady downpour, a course evacuation, and really, really wet.
The morning started out cool, with light rain. In fact, it didn't start raining until I was heading into the MARTA train station. I actually had to make a run for it.
I met up with my co-worker Joann and her daughter Olivia, and we started to make our way to the start line via the train.

Riding along on MARTA
I found my wave start. As you can see from the photo, it wasn't really raining then, although it had been sprinkling on and off as I waited for Wave M to begin, around 8:25 a.m. or so.
Getting ready to start

Just about to start
 The course officials are very nearly starting the countdown for our wave to begin. I've even started my running apps for the race, when lightning struck nearby.
Officials stopped the race and evacuated the remaining waves to nearby parking decks at shopping malls. It was there that I found my running buddy Angela. She was supposed to be in Wave L, and if only we could have found each other earlier and been in Wave L, we would not have had a 45 minute rain delay.
Waiting out the rain delay
 Eventually, the course was repopulated with runners and we began the 6.2-mile race. Angela and I made one pit stop at mile 2. We both agreed we'd waited so long before the start, we both had to use the restroom again! Darn it.
We made it to the finish to find a muddy mess at Piedmont Park.
We both took off our shoes and socks and walked through the swamp bare footed. I was surprised more folks didn't do the same, but we appeared to be the only ones. And we were the only ones with clean shoes at the end!!
Finishers!
There were lots of things that sort of went wrong with this race this year. I'm not averse to running in the rain, so that wasn't really it. although I do wish I had grabbed my windbreaker and run with that. It would have provided a little shelter from the wet.
In my opinion what went wrong was when the course was evacuated and communication broke down. I'm sure that will be addressed, but it did dampen the fun. Those were my post-race comments to the Atlanta Track Club, which puts on the race each year.
The other downside was because of the monsoon, I didn't get to meet up with friends I expected to see after the race, such as co-workers Ellie and Joann. We had gone together to get our numbers days before at the expo and had planned to meet up after the race.

Expo fun with Ellie and Joann
The good parts about the delay were that I did find Angela so we could run together, and that the rain kept the temps very cool, which was a big plus.
In the end, the 2015 Peachtree Road Race 10K went swimmingly. A little more literally than I'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment