Monday, July 3, 2017

More Than Pink

With Interstate 85 under repairs back in May, the Komen Race for the Cure in Atlanta, which is always held over Mother's Day weekend, got postponed this year until June 24.
It was with slightly weary legs that I ran the 5K this year.
I worried that with the postponement, it would be much hotter than usual for the race, but we got a little drizzle that morning. Kept temperatures down, even if it was a bit more humid.
Nevertheless it was a great event.

At the start
It's been 11 years now since I was diagnosed with breast cancer. The start of the race always tears me up, though, thinking of my friends who were not so lucky to survive so long. The need to find a cure or better treatments is still very critical.
Survivor's medal
The Komen race also always makes me reflect on where I am today. It makes me realize I'm so much more than my cancer diagnosis. In fact, I am much more than pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment