Saturday, April 14, 2012

Spring Has Sprung

Spring weather has returned to Atlanta. Unlike the 85 degree weather we had in March and early April, this past week cooled off and this morning's race was perfect running weather.
I ran the Spring Has Sprung 8K with my friend Angela today. I'd never run this race, and, to be honest, I was worried about running 5 miles on my injured leg. But I had laid off running for two weeks, and I didn't have any trouble with the leg today.
It also helped that I ran with Angela, who was nursing her own injury, a badly sprained ankle, so we took frequent walk breaks. I ran about the last mile on my own, as Angela took a longer walk break.
Me and Angela before the race
The course was through Atlanta's Old Fourth Ward and Candler Park neighborhoods. I was telling Angela during the race that I love doing races in various areas because you really get to see the city and its neighborhoods. When I'm driving I have to pay attention to driving and can't enjoy the scenery.
The course had a nice steep hill, but at least the Atlanta Track Club changed the course this year so it was within the first mile, when I have more energy to get up the hill. Angela said last year the hill was between miles 2 and 3. Ugh. I would not have liked that!
Managed to find a nickel on the course (and a dime during yesterday's walk), so the pig has been fed this week.
I've got a lot of 5Ks coming up in the remainder of April and into May. Now is the great running weather for Atlanta, and I plan to enjoy  it.
After all, spring has sprung!

No comments:

Post a Comment