Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Celebrating July 4th

Today is July 4th, Independence Day, in America.
And in Atlanta, that means Peachtree Road Race 10K.
Started in 1978, the race has become a tradition in this city. More parade than race, but you get to do it with 60,000 of your closest friends.
I got to do it this year, with a few of mine, as well.
Ran into Julie as we prepared to head to the race on MARTA, Atlanta's public transport system.
Me and Julie
I've heard that July 4 is the only day MARTA turns a profit. I believe it. By the time we were getting near Lenox Station, the start of the race, we were cheek to jowl with many fellow racers. As Julie pointed out, we scored big time by being near the bulkhead of the train, so we weren't too squished.
Standing near the start line was a HUGE American flag. Always makes me proud to see it waving in the breeze.
Gallantly streaming
Next thing you know, we're off!
I didn't take nearly as many photos of the race as I did last year. But I enjoyed it just the same. Here's a shot of me, somewhere along the 6.2 mile route.
Heading down Peachtree Road
And before I knew it, I had turned the corner on 10th Street and was headed toward the finish. I swear it feels like the longest distance to get to the finish once you make that turn.
But it is worth it. Here is what makes it worthwhile: The coveted Peachtree Road Race T-shirt!
Me and the T

It was at the finish that I finally ran into my friend Rachel. We were supposed to be in the same start wave, but MARTA and a pit stop before the race means we didn't find one another until the end.
Rachel and me at the finish
And as I sit on the couch, recovering from a hot, humid 10K, I smile. I'm already thinking about next year's race!
Happy Fourth of July, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment