Sunday, June 17, 2012

Entering Braves Country

It's been a busy week. I've spent a great deal of it in Braves Country.
What is Braves Country? Well, Turner Field, home of the Atlanta Braves baseball team.
Now, I grew up in New York and I'm a die hard Yankees fan. And I'm not just a fair-weather fan. I was a Yankees fan in the 1980s, when it was very hard to be a Yankees fan.
And this week, thanks to interleague play in Major League Baseball, the New York Yankees came to Atlanta for a three-game series that started Monday night.
I bought a pair of tickets to the three-game series and invited friends and my 10-year-old nephew Nicholas to the games.
Monday night my friend Rachel came. We ate hot dogs and discovered the Bicardi bar at the stadium.
Rachel and me
I worried we would get rained out. The weather was so terrible earlier in the day. But the rain cleared out and we had a beautiful night at the stadium. And the Yankees won.
Tuesday night, I took Nicholas as part of his birthday present.
Lisa and Nicholas ready to cheer on the Yankees
 We both got a gift when we saw Alex Rodriguez hit a grand slam home run to help the Yankees begin a rally. We ate pizza and sodas and had a beautiful night for baseball. And the Yankees won.
Wednesday night my friend Jill came with me, and wouldn't you know it, I had the best seats of the series and it RAINED. We were just about field level, but got chased back up into the concession area for a good part of the game when the rain got rather heavy. We ate more concession food and rediscovered the Bicardi bar. ;)
Jill and Lisa before the sky opened up
Now Jill is a Braves and Red Sox fan, but we are still friends. ;)
So, not a great night for baseball, but the Yankees won.
I was so exhausted after the three-game series. I had hoped to take Wednesday off from work, but no such luck.
When Friday came I was glad I had no where to go and no where to be but on my couch.
Except I had a 4-mile race on Saturday morning at, you guessed it, Turner Field!
The Braves Country Father's Day 4-miler actually finished near home plate. That was really fun.
I ran the race with my friends Rachel (who went to the game with me Monday night) and Angela.
Here we are at the end of the race.
Rachel, Lisa and Angela, still fresh as daisies post race
The best part of this 4-mile race? Going out to breakfast with these gals afterward!
So, I've spent a lot of time in Braves Country this week. It was time well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment