Sunday, March 3, 2013

Along a snowy trail

Saturday was a first for me in running, I did a trail run 5K. And I did it in some snowy weather, which I think may be another first.
Saturday's race was the Red Devil Dash 5K, which I did last year. However, last year's race was up near Druid Hills High School, the mascot of which is the Red Devils. The race last year went through Lullwater Park, which is a lovely park, but is not a trail.
This year's race was at Druid Hills Middle School, home of the Dragons, and was a three-loop course along the cross country team's trail behind the school.
The morning's temp was 34 degrees and overcast, and as I left the house, I could see flurries in the air. I met my friend Erin and soon the race was on.
Erin and me, pre-race 

Why is this course nearly all uphill?
 The course was very hilly. Usually the saying is "what goes up, must come down" but this trail didn't seem to have heard of that saying.
I won't say trail running is for me, but it was different and I'm glad I've done it at least once.
Erin said she was hating the trail

Posing along the way
You can sort of see that the trail was very well marked. The cross country coach had gone through and marked it with white arrows and marked with white paint some of the obstacles and tree roots. That helped, but both Erin and I nearly tripped at least once on the course.
So when two roads diverged on this snowy trail, we did not take the road less traveled, but we sure did run a race that was a first for us, and that made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment