Monday, March 11, 2013

The race against hunger

For the second year, I ran the Hunger Run 5K in downtown Atlanta.
Last year I ran it by myself, but this year the race was more fun, as I ran it with friends Erin and Mary.
If you read this blog at all, you'll have read that Erin and I ran a 5K trail run last weekend in near freezing temps and snow. This past weekend could not have been more different in Atlanta. It was sunny and in the mid-60s at race time. I ran in a T-shirt and capri pants and I wished I had worn shorts! Look at the blue skies!
Me, Erin & Mary pre-race
The race starts and finishes at Turner Field in downtown Atlanta, at it really is a party atmosphere.
There were tents, food trucks, a stage with singers and performers from the Imperial OPA Circus in Atlanta, including this guy, who had a frisky flamingo.
Erin, Mary & friends
There were hula hoopers, jump ropers and sidewalk artists. We even got in on the act.
Leaving our mark
But soon the race started, with more than 10,000 participants. We headed down Hank Aaron drive, and under the Olympic Rings, part of the 1996 Summer Olympics that were held in Atlanta.
The race has started
Erin, Mary and I got separated during the race, so I ended up coming in a little ahead of them. But I found a nickel and a penny on the course. After a little bit of a dry spell, found money!
Mary and Erin finish!
It was a nearly perfect day for a race in metro Atlanta.. And it certainly beat last weekend's conditions. But more importantly, it was a great way to help a great cause. I know I'll want to do this race again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment