Saturday, April 13, 2013

Sweet home, Alabama

Today I picked up the ninth state I've run a race in, in sweet home, Alabama.
The race was the Beulah Bobcat Run at Beulah High School in Valley, Ala. I found the race online, and since it was just about a two hours drive from Atlanta, and the race started at 11 am EDT, I knew I could get there in time for the race without having to leave the house at 4 am!
Except, I miscalculated the time difference. I left the house at 9 am and realized while on the road I was going to get there about the time the race was starting! Not an auspicious start to a race.
Despite that, I made the exit for the race with 20 minutes to spare -- and spent the next 20 minutes trying to find the high school! Ugh! My Yahoo! Maps directions were not good at all.
I am so glad I now have the iPhone 4S. Good ol' Siri directed me to the high school when I simply said "Take me to Beulah High School." God love technology, I finally saw this sign:
Beulah High School
However, it is very unsettling to pull up to a race and see everyone at the start. I quickly parked and jogged over.
This turned out to be a low-key race. No race bib, and the course was not marked, just the race director giving some brief directions of where to go -- which of course I missed because I was late. So I had to make sure I kept a visual on a couple of the runners so I could see where they were turning.
We started out on a dirt road to the right of the high school.
Along the Bobcat 5K
So I've officially got some red Alabama clay on my new shoes.
The only thing I didn't like about the race was traffic was not stopped for the race. I'm so used to having police stopping traffic and blocking roads. This race took place without all of that, and a few cars certainly came barreling down the road right next to us runners.
On the final mile, I finally saw the sign I should have seen if I had better directions.
This way to the Bobcat 5K
 When I crossed the finish line, I got a time card to fill out. I was the 33rd runner to cross the finish, but I think there were just six folks behind me.
When I turned in my card I found out they give out awards three deep in age groups. I was shocked! I came in second in my age group. Now, I am quite certain there were just two of us in my age group. I talked to the woman who bested me, but here I am with my plaque!
Second in my age group
Not only did I come home with a plaque, I came home with two dimes and two pennies from the race. I actually thought one of the coins was a third dime, but when I got home I discovered it is just a flattened penny.
I also found a little token that reads "Super Patient Award." I thought it was a quarter, but later realized it was a token.
On tonight's walk with my neighbor, I found another nickel and penny. I'm rolling in found money today!
All in all, I have a great story to tell of this 5K, and I have a new race T-shirt featuring the Beulah Bobcats. I will wear it proudly.

No comments:

Post a Comment