Saturday, May 4, 2013

Running in liquid sunshine

Another run completed this Saturday in liquid sunshine.
I was lamenting on Facebook this morning that I was about to run a 5K and it was pouring outside. My running shoes had just dried from LAST weekend's race. A friend pointed out that Mother Nature knew I had experience running in the rain.
And I realized I was a complete runnerd when I thought "Damn, I'm going to get wet on this race," not "I'm sleeping in."
So, the rain poncho is getting quite the workout lately.
Today's race was the Cox Trot 5K in Chamblee, Ga. My friend Carolyn had signed up with her partner Susan, but Susan couldn't make it, so she invited me to take Susan's number. I think Susan got the better end of this deal today. She stayed dry!
Carolyn before the race

Me and Carolyn, ready to face the rain
Carolyn has a similar bucket list as me. While I am trying for a race in all 50 states, she's doing marathons in all 50 states. Last weekend she picked up Kentucky and is headed to Delaware soon. I told her I need to start traveling with her to run some 5Ks or half marathons to get a few more states in!
This morning's race was supposed to be a 5K, but it turned out to be abut 3.6 miles or so. That would have been just fine on a lovely spring morning, but in a cold rainy morning, not so much. What happened to spring in Atlanta? Tonight it is still raining and about 52 degrees, when the average temperature for the day is 77 degrees.
Well, the liquid sunshine means I've been enjoying some Earl Grey tea and snuggling with two very lazy cats.
Stay dry, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment