Friday, May 31, 2013

An advocate for air conditioning

I'm a little late with this post, but I was honored May 23 as the Small Business Administration's Georgia Media Advocate of the Year.
What a surprise and honor!
The award came with a very nice luncheon.
There were several folks being honored that day by the SBA, and it was wonderful to hear about the other winners, including a company that provides peeled hard-boiled eggs to restaurants and grocers. My table mates and I remarked at it's such a simple idea and why hadn't WE thought of that?
So, here I am receiving my award:
Receiving the award

Group photo of all of the winners
What made the day even more special was that my mother and my sister Kristine were able to join me at the luncheon.
The one downside of the whole event was that the day before my mother was to arrive from South Carolina, my air conditioner decided to quit! Wouldn't you know, it had been just beautiful in the days leading up to her arrival, in the upper 70s and no humidity. I didn't even have the air conditioner on. But with my mom coming to visit, I thought I had better turn it on.
Well, the repairman couldn't get to me until Friday, the day my mom left to go home.
I quickly borrowed three box fans and we managed to survive. The house got to about 84 one day, but thankfully it wasn't too humid, so it wasn't a sticky heat.
In addition, I was invited to speak on Jim Beach's School for Startups radio show. Here is a link to the interview, and my part begins about 29 minutes in.
So I guess I got three surprises last week. Two very pleasant, one less so, but the experience has made me an advocate of checking the air conditioner before you need to turn it on. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment