Sunday, November 24, 2013

Final 5K in my 40s

I ran my final 5K of my 40s yesterday.
As of next week, I'll be running races in a whole new age group -- a whole new decade.
I ran the Lakeside Viking 5K, which is not far from my house. I really hadn't expected to run a race this weekend, but Monday on my way to work I saw little signs up around the area announcing the race. I had run it before, so I quickly signed up.
I'm so glad I did.
It was a cool morning Saturday, and a little damp.
I got to the race and realized I forgot my iPod. It was too late to return to the house, even though I wasn't that far away. I just could not have gone home and returned in a comfortable time to make the race. So I decided to run old school, with no music.
In a way, it was better to run without it. I'm so used to running with my set playlists, and I know that they are all about 36 to 38 minutes long. I know what the final song on each playlist is, so when I hear it, I know I need to be close to the finish
Without the music, I could only listen to the cadence of my footfalls and my breathing.
It allowed me to zone out completely while I ran, which I think helped me run a little faster.
I was pleased with my result.
That night my sisters treated me to a birthday dinner, and even picked me up in a stretch limo. It was such fun. They even gave me the perfect gift:
My new wine glass
What I love about this wine glass, other than the bling, is how BIG it is. Because I hate to have to go back for seconds. :)
I just looked up my first race of this decade. I'm a full three minutes slower now. Not bad. I'll take that for my final 5K in my 40s.

No comments:

Post a Comment