Saturday, March 29, 2014

Georgia was on my mind

I ran the Publix Georgia Half Marathon on March 23.
I did not expect to run this race, but I can be talked into just about any race. Does that make me race easy? :D
I signed up for this race on Dec. 31, 2013 at almost the stroke of midnight.
You know you are getting old when you leave a New Year's Eve party BEFORE the stroke of midnight. I had worked all day that day and I was tired, so I left.
I got home, logged onto Facebook and saw a message from running buddy Jessica, who had signed up for the Georgia Half and encouraged me to do the same, even sending me a code for a race discount!
So, I signed up. And I almost immediately had reservations.
Now, I've actually run this race three times before. The race started in 2007, but as the ING Georgia Half. I ran the inaugural year and it is a hilly course. That year the race start was in early April and it was 70 degrees at the start. The pollen was awful, the course was hilly and it's a wonder lots of folks didn't just stroke out along the course!
The morning of this year's race called for heavy rain. I dreaded it as I grabbed my rain poncho.
I took MARTA to the race, but a problem with one train meant I got there very close to race time -- not the best way to start a race!
Thankfully, I found Jessica before the start.
Jessica and me at the start
The sun came up along the first part of the course, and Jessica and I took a quick break to take a photo.
Jessica long the course

Me along the course
Jessica and I stayed together until about mile four and then I pulled ahead. I really didn't think I would do too well on this race because I lost a full month of training as a result of the car accident in January and the horrible weather in February. But mostly the car accident. I just couldn't run long distances! I couldn't run at all!!
So I was pleasantly surprised that I was only 10 minutes off my Nashville half time a year ago AND I did it on a harder course.

Georgia Half finishers!

Another half medal to hang on the wall
All in all, I was very pleased with the result, but Jessica almost immediately announced she did not intend to run this race again. That is, until I get an email from her saying she's signing up. And I'll sign up too. I'm easy that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment