Friday, April 25, 2014

Running on empty

Oh, being laid low by a head cold stinks. Especially when you are scheduled to run a 10K on a Saturday morning.
I had been suffering all week with a bad head cold when it was time to run the Atlanta Track Club's Singleton 10K on April 19. I really NEEDED to run 6.2 miles to keep up with my training for the upcoming Rock N Roll Portland Half Marathon.
But, alas, a virus or just the common cold laid me low.
I initially thought I just would not run that weekend, but I woke up that morning, and even though it was raining, I decided to drop down to the 5K.
This is what I REALLY like about Atlanta Track Club races. The club allows you to step up or drop down to another level if need be without cost.
So, I drove up to Norcross, Ga., Thrasher Park and ran the 5K. I was so glad I did. The 5K was an odd, winding course, in a light rain. I would not have made a double loop on this one.
And I met some runners with Black Girls Run. We stood around in the early morning, chatting about running. It was wonderful. I love the community of running.
Here's me before the race:
Before the Singleton 5K
I didn't do too badly on this race. I actually ran a few seconds faster than the week before. Geez! Maybe I should have a head cold before every race. Or not.
It's not good to run on empty, and I'm glad I had a full running experience that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment