Wednesday, December 31, 2014

As the year closes

2014 is quickly drawing to a close, but I had one final running surprise: an award from the Atlanta Track Club.
I received the David Jordan Bunny Award for running all six Grand Prix races in 2014. I missed the awards ceremony (I had a race that morning and won in my age group!). So I emailed the track club, thinking what I was going to receive was a certificate and could they send it in a PDF so I could include it in my scrapbook.
Nope, I had to come pick it up because it was a physical award.
An award for being persistent and consistent
Nope, that definitely won't fit in the scrapbook, but it sure looks nice on my shelf!
This is likely the only year I will get this award. The award is for running all six Grand Prix races the track club sponsors, as I said, and next year there are 12! Not that I couldn't challenge myself to do all 12, but some of them fall on weekends when I plan to be racing in other states.
But what I really appreciate about this award is it's not for being the fastest, or the "best." It's for being YOUR best. Just showing up and running each race, and crossing the finish line, no matter what the time was on the finishing clock. It's for trying, and completing.
And that's what racing is now for me. I'll likely never win a track club race. It's so rare for me to even win in my age group. Remember, it has to be raining and only five people need show up! ha ha.
So I very much appreciate this award.
And, since it is nearing the end of the year, I counted up all my found money for 2014.
Remember him?
Found money pig
I collected $7.65 this year, but that was only because I found a $5 bill in the grocery store parking lot one day. I had far fewer coins collected this year. If you take the $5 out, I netted just $2.65. Maybe it's because I was busier this year pushing myself and not stopping for cash on the ground. :)
So, here's to filling the pig up in 2015, and working toward new running goals and awards.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment