Friday, October 30, 2015

10 [more] miles of uphill

I successfully completed this year's Atlanta 10 Miler, and once again I felt like it was 10 miles of all uphill.
And it was on one of those uphills, or maybe a short downhill, that my right running shoe decided to disintegrate. At least the heel. Not cool, running shoe!
Needless to say, it was an early start.
The finish line in pre-race darkness
However, I would say it was a fun race. I got to run nearly all of it with my friend Julie, who is coming off foot surgery after a bad stress fracture.
Me and Julie
For this selfie, I managed to keep my finger out of the photo. Ha!
Julie and I were well suited to run together, taking walk breaks at about the same time. It wasn't until about mile 7, at the start of Cardiac Hill, that one mile of straight uphill on Peachtree Road, that she needed a walk break and I still had something in the tank and went on ahead.
Hi from the chute to the finish

Headed toward the finish
Many thanks to my friend Angela, who was volunteering at the race as a course monitor at mile 2. I saw her at mile 2 and then she waited at the finish and caught me as I was coming in.
Finishers!

Me and Angela

New medal to add to the collection
I do like this race, however. I'm glad the Atlanta Track Club offers the 10 miler. It's a good challenge, and the introduction of the Cardiac Hill mile, where the 100 fastest runners to take Cardiac Hill can win prizes, is a great addition. Turns out, that mile of Cardiac Hill was my fastest split! I guess I was motivated to "get over it."

No comments:

Post a Comment