Sunday, June 12, 2016

Ticking off a trail race

I returned to the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers this year to run the Monastery 5K Run With the Monks.
I ran this race three years ago. The grounds are really lovely and this is a trail race. The first time I ran it, it had rained before the race, so the grounds were muddy. I remember race officials had put down hay along the route.
This year the route was dusty, and apparently, there was another difference: ticks.
As I walked up to get my race number, I was pointed toward bug spray "because the ticks have been bad this year." I just about drown myself in the spray! I sprayed my shoes twice, thinking I'd at least keep them from wanting to start up my body to begin with. I haven't found any now that the race is over, so I guess it worked!
I'd forgotten the giant hill from mile 1.5 to mile 2. Goodness!
Because it was a trail race, and a lot of it was shaded, it didn't feel too hot, even though this weekend has tied record heat. It got up to 96 degrees the day of the race, although it wasn't nearly that hot at race time.
On the grounds of Monastery of the Holy Spirit
One reason I wanted to run this race again was I was out of Abbey honey! The monastery has apiaries on the grounds and the monks sell local raw honey. It is delicious. I'm set for another couple of years!
I stuck around for the awards afterward. I didn't think I had won in my age group, but the awards were really nice engraved pint glasses, so I sure wanted to see if I had!
Sadly, I was a slowpoke on the trail run, so I did not garner a pint glass.
But at least I can say I ticked off this race. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment