Sunday, June 19, 2016

Trotting with the possums

I got up before the songbirds Saturday to run the Possum Trot 10K in Roswell.
It's the 38th annual running of this race, which takes place near Chattahoochee Nature Center and runs along the Chattahoochee River. It was a 7 a.m. start and the roads close at 6 a.m., which meant I left my house at 5:45 a.m.
I wasn't sure I was ready for a 10K. I've really slacked off from running since my foot had been bothering me so much, but this was a nice flat course and Saturday morning turned out to be cool for June and lower humidity than we had been having.
Still, I ran what I like to think was the "possum division," slow and ugly. Even with it being such a flat course I came in at 1:24:31.
You know you are slow when the race photographer is no longer at the finish line taking photos when you come in for the finish! I'm not kidding. He wasn't there. He'd moved up to the stage, where the awards ceremony was taking place.
Yes, I came in AFTER the awards had started. No need to stick around that morning to see if I'd placed in my age group. I knew with certainty I had not.
Still, it was a great little tune-up for the Peachtree Road Race coming up July 4. I was a little nervous that I hadn't gotten much running in prior to the Peachtree and wasn't sure how I'd manage, but I feel fine now that it will be OK.
Thank goodness for muscle memory!
I think I'd like to do this race again next year. My goal will be to finish before the race photographer leaves!.
Trot on, possums!

No comments:

Post a Comment