Monday, October 16, 2017

Time to Run Like Hell

I returned to one of my favorite fall 5Ks this past weekend with the Run Like Hell 5K in Historic Oakland Cemetery.
This is one I had run for years, then it switched to the spring, then it disappeared, then it reappeared last year, but I was running in Denver. The stars aligned and I was in town again to enjoy it.
I got there pretty early to park and wandered the cemetery before my friend Angela and her dog Lucy Liu showed up.
I've blogged about the cemetery before, but thought I'd share again some "famous" grave sites.
Gone With the Wind author Margaret Mitchell's grave site


Golfer Bobby Jone's grave site, complete with golf balls

A sad reminder of the frailty of infants
 I also took notice this time of the small headstones, those of infants and children. I found one where it was clear the mother died in childbirth, and then the infant died a few months later.
The artistry of grave markers

The tomb of the unknown confederate soldier
 The race started not too far from Lion's Square, which is near the tomb of the unknown confederate soldier.
Anthony and Ja'Den of Brown Boys Lemonade. 
 I meet these two handsome (and super wonderful) entrepreneurs at the venders area. Anthony and Ja'Den are owners of Brown Boys Lemonade. They were so much fun to talk to.
Grave site of Martha Lumpkin Compton, for whom Atlanta AKA Marthasville, was named.

Former Mayor Maynard Jackson's grave site

Pretty dove stained glass
This stained glass was inside one of the vaults, but I neglected to get a photo of whose it was!
I couldn't find one of my favorite grave markers, the sundial one. Couldn't remember where it was in the cemetery. But here are photos from when I found it before:
Count None But Sunny Hours
Berman memorial
Angela got there and then it was all about getting ready to run.
Miss Lucy Liu and Angela
 Lucy Liu was dressed as Goldilocks, but also got mistaken for Elsa, Rapunzel and other Disney princesses. Didn't matter, she looked fab.
Me and Angela, ready to Run Like Hell

Along the course, near the Georgia State Capitol building
So, it wasn't our best time for a 5K. My legs felt worn out from the half earlier in the week and Lucy is still  recovery from some surgery. We all walked quite a bit.
Lucy came in second in the dog costume contest, and I think we all agree she was robbed.
Next year, we'll be sure to run the Run Like Hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment