Monday, March 12, 2012

Chasing down hunger

I ran the Hunger Run 5K for the first time Sunday afternoon in Atlanta.
The event, which also includes a 5K walk, starts and finishes at Turner Field in downtown Atlanta and raises money for various organizations that feed the hungry, including the Atlanta Community Food Bank.
It was a beautiful day for the event,which drew more than 10,000.
And although the course is very hilly, I was only 10 seconds slower than last week's 5K, so I was very pleased. I even found a dime and two pennies along the course, so the pig got fed this week.
Since the event staged at the "blue lot" of Turner Field, I got to step up to home plate.
The blue parking lot is where the old Fulton County Stadium stood, before Turner Field was built as the new home of the Atlanta Braves baseball team.
The developer kept the markings for the old field in the parking lot, so I could stand on home plate.
Standing on "home plate"
I could have run all the bases, but there were people all over the place and I would have likely run into fellow participants.
Yes, those are my new shoes. I got a little more dirt on them in their first 5K.
It was a wonderful race and race day. And I hope we have made a dent in ending hunger in metro Atlanta.

No comments:

Post a Comment