Saturday, March 3, 2012

Running with the [red] devils

Another good race day for me.
This morning it was the Red Devil Dash 5K that started at Druid Hills High School in Atlanta, home of the Red Devils.
Overnight in metro Atlanta, there were terrible storms and high winds. When I woke up this morning, it was to the sound of rain.
I was sure the 5K today would be a wet run.
But the rain trailed off and the race was actually quite nice. About 48 degrees at the start with only a light wind. Almost perfect running weather.
The course for this race was quite nice, too.
It ran through Lullwater Park near Emory University. It was the first time I'd ever been through that park and it is lovely. I had no idea such a nice area was so close to my house.
And the nicest part of all, I ran the race in 35:25, my best 5K time in about three years. What satisfaction to see my running times going down again, when for so long they were creeping up.
The race was also profitable. I found a penny at the start of the race and then another one as I walked back to my car.
I found two pennies on the Charles Harris Run route as well, so the pig has been fed a couple of times this past week.
I fully expect, based on today's experience, I'll run with the devils again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment