Thursday, June 7, 2012

In the Garden

My side yard summer garden is coming along quite nicely, other than that disquieting incident with a chipmunk or squirrel that dug up my eggplant.
I tried to find another Black Beauty eggplant at Home Depot, Walmart and Pike Nursery, but had no luck. Ended up replacing what I wanted with Ichiban eggplant, which is long and thin, rather than fat and round. I'm sure if I can get several fruit off the plant, it will taste just fine in my homemade eggplant risotto.
This year I planted some string beans. My dad gave me some seeds that he used in his garden last year and I have been eating string beans for a couple of weeks  now. I should have checked the plants tonight to see if there were more to pull.
string beans out of the garden
I've also gotten the first few Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes from the garden. That's about as early as I have ever pulled tomatoes from my garden in Atlanta. When I lived on St. Simons Island, Ga., and then in Jacksonville, Fla., I could almost bank on getting ripe tomatoes in June, but in Atlanta that is rarer. We had such a mild winter this year, I planted my summer garden in mid March, so I should not be surprised I'm getting the first early produce now.
I don't just have produce coming in. My blue lace cap hydrangeas looked really pretty this spring.

Blue lace cap hydrangeas
I got this plant because a friend of mine, who happens to be a master gardener, gave me some cuttings from his plants. Actually, Bob gave me lots more than just this one plant. He gave me a dozen cuttings. I dutifully planted all 12 down the ugly chain link fence along the left side of my yard and knew that in a few years I'd have lovely flowering shrubs to look at and not knocked about metal fencing.
Well, that was a lovely plan. Unfortunately, I hired Daryl to mow my grass and clean out the gutters. And Daryl, God love him, took his weed whacker and went along the fence line and killed every last one of those hydrangeas I'd just planted. I did not rehire him.
Lesson learned? Always mow your own yard if you don't want anyone to cut something you'd rather leave growing.
And that's what's been happening in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment