Sunday, June 3, 2012

Summer fun at Summerfest

For the second year in a row, I ran the Summerfest 5K in Atlanta.
This race is in the Virginia-Highland area of Atlanta, a fun, hip, urban neighborhood. The race is part of Summerfest, a weekend arts and music festival. The race sort of kicks all of that off.
What's nice about running the race, other than it has a couple of challenging hills, is when it is finished, I can walk around the festival before the actual festival starts. It was nice to be able to talk to the artists about their work.
And the race morning could not have been better. A storm the day before brought in a cool snap, so it was about 55 degrees and very low humidity. Not bad for June 2!
Along the course, and just around the neighborhood in general, was this message by a graffiti artist:



As you can see, they were in all different colors all around Virginia-Highland. I don't know who WB is, but I really liked the message.
What I took away from the street art was this: I need to allow that my body is a little slower after all of my cancer treatment. I need to accept that. And I need to appreciate what my body can still do. I can still run races. And I can still have fun doing them.
Now, onto the found money pig. I realize that anyone who has just started reading this blog might not know about how I collect all of the money I find on races, and other places. I've found several pennies over the past week. All of them got deposited to feed the pig.
The found money pig
I didn't find any running the Summerfest 5K, but that's OK. There are lots more races coming up for me this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment