Saturday, January 26, 2013

Cause running

I once had a friend ask me why I ran so many 5K races.
First, I like them. I like getting out and seeing new parts of Atlanta and its suburbs. There is really nothing like seeing the city by foot.
Second, most 5K races have a charitable component, so it affords me the opportunity to donate or raise money for charities or causes I believe in. I've run many a race that benefits breast cancer research/survivors, but I've also run races to benefit schools, leukemia research, epilepsy research, developmental disabilities research and a host of others. This morning, I raced to end homelessness.
I ran the Atlanta Mission 5K with my friend Michelle.

Michelle and me before the race
Aside from feeling good about myself for running the race and raising a little money for the cause, I also was very humbled this morning.
After so many weeks of a mild winter, much cooler temps have arrived in Atlanta. This morning's 39 degree start meant I was wearing long running tights. two long-sleeved shirts and a sweatshirt, a hat and gloves. Just pulling off my gloves to start my smartphone/running app made me groan.
So imagine my chagrin when the race director lead us all in prayer this morning before the race, and reminded all of us that while we are out in the cold for just a few minutes, there are those among us that don't get to go back to warm cars and warm houses. That 39 degrees, or so, is a constant today.
Suddenly, I realized how very blessed I am to have a roof over my head and heat coming out of the furnace.
I ran another inspiring race this past Monday, the MLK Day 5K.
I ran this race last year, but by myself.
This year, my friends Erin and Mary ran it, too.
Mary, Erin and me
Last year the race was in Buckhead, and ran throughout one of Atlanta's major business districts. Since not everyone had the day off, the course caused some traffic inconvenience to those driving that morning. This year, the race was entirely within Piedmont Park. No drivers were inconvenienced for the race.
However, all last week Atlanta saw copious amounts of rain.
I had joked that since the Atlanta Falcons had beaten the Seattle Seahawks in the first round of playoffs, we'd gotten Seattle weather all week.
That meant the MLK Day 5K ended up being part mud run, part trail run and part road race.
One really fun thing about the MLK Day 5K are the high school and middle school student drum lines that keep the rhythm (and runners) going.

A very young drum line
I enjoyed doing the MLK Day 5K and hope to make it a part of my annual races. And I think the Atlanta Mission 5K is one I will continue to run, year after year, if only to remind me of how blessed I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment