Sunday, January 6, 2013

Resolving to run, and write

Oh boy.
I guess it is a good thing the new year has arrived and I have resolved to do more running, and writing.
I can't believe the entire month of December went by without a single blog about the races I've run.
Dec. 1 I ran the One Love, One Heart 5K in Decatur. It's right over in Medlock Park, a very hilly neighborhood.
On Dec. 8 I ran the Jingle Jog 5K. It had been a couple of years since I had run that race.
Ready to run in my Santa hat!
 Turns out my co-worker Patsy ran it as well, but neither one of us thought to ask the other if she was running it. I would have liked to have caught up with her at the start/finish at least.
It was a drizzly day for that race, but not too cold, so it wasn't all that bad.
I ran a really fun race Dec. 21 called the End of the World 5K.
End of the World 5K

End of the World 5K
The race was a play on the hoopla over the Mayan calendar ending on Dec. 21, 2012 and was it the end of the world. People dressed up in some pretty creative costumes for the race.
Some Mayan fun
The race was at night in Marietta, and it was COLD. It was pretty much and out and back course from Jim Miller Park and it ran by the county landfill and other government buildings (like the jail). As such, there were very few street lights, so as I'm running along I look up and can see the constellation of Orion. That was pretty darn cool, to see the stars during a 5K race.
The End of the World 5K was my final race of 2012.
In keeping with tradition, I counted up all of my found money from 2012, and the grand total this year was $3.45.
I started the new year off by running the Resolution Run 5K in Kennesaw.
I ran this race last year, but what a difference! Last year I ran the race in short sleeves and this year was rain, rain and more rain. I was soaked through by the end of this race. And cold!
I am soaked and I haven't even started the race yet!
But I found a quarter and a penny during the race, so the pig got fed on the first day of the new year.
Which brings me to my resolutions, to run more and write more.
Although I run a 5K nearly every weekend, my running during the week had really fallen off last year. I used to run at least three times a week. Slacking off has meant some very unwanted weight has crept up on me. I bet I've gained 15 pounds in the past year and a half. I know my pants and skirts are snug, if not downright tight.
So, I am resolved to step up my running. It is exercise, for me, that gets, and keeps, the weight off.
And I'm resolved to do more writing.
Last year my resolution was to write my book. I'm up to chapter 5, but it has been very slow going.
I think part of it is I write for a living, and when I get home from a long day of writing and editing, the last thing I really want to do is write and edit.
But I am getting a lot of encouragement from my friends, including my co-worker Rachael. I sent her the first few chapters. She's a working mom and wife, so she readily admits she can only read a couple pages at a time. But she tells me she likes what she is reading and will want more chapters when she finishes what I gave her. That encourages me to write!
So let's hear it for resolutions. The new year is a great time to reflect and recommit to whatever we feel will improve ourselves.
Here's to a great new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment