Saturday, June 1, 2013

Hot fun in the summertime

This morning was one of my favorite races, the Summerfest 5K in the Virginia-Highland area of Atlanta.
2013 Summerfest 5K
Honestly, this is not my favorite course. There is a hill right after mile 2 that is challenging. I find myself sucking wind and power walking at that point.
What I love about this race is it finishes just as the artists are setting up for the Summerfest, a two-day art and music festival. I love walking through the center of the festival taking a peek at the art, and being able to talk with the artists, all before the crowds arrive. The festival doesn't start until about 10 a.m. I was done running long before then and had walked around the runner's area before heading back to my car around 9 a.m.
I should have taken some photos of some of the great art that is there, but I'm never sure if artists want that.
I ran Summerfest 5K with my friend Michelle. We ran this race together two years ago, but she couldn't make it last year. I was glad she was able to run it this year. Running with a buddy is so much more fun!

Me and Michelle at the start line
I didn't do too badly on the run. I'm waiting for the official race results, but I think I came in a little faster than last year.
And on the way back to my car, I found a dime. The poor found money piggy bank has been very hungry lately. So the pig got fed today.
The Summerfest 5K was the first 5K I wrote about in this blog two years ago. I just re-read that post. I talked about the hills! Some things never change, I suppose.
I also wrote about the heat. It's funny that it is about Memorial Day weekend and the first weekend in June where the heat in Atlanta really begins to kick in.
So I'm guaranteed hot fun in the summertime at Summerfest.

No comments:

Post a Comment