Sunday, June 23, 2013

A Dancer's Heart

I ran A Dancer's Heart 5K yesterday with my friend Erin.
It was the first time I'd run the race, but it was a similar course as the Frostbite 5K and several other Decatur races that start at Decatur High School.
This was fun in that we finished on the Decatur High football field.
Here are Erin and me before the race, note how fashionable we are in our running skirts. :)
Fashionable runners!
This race benefits A Dancer's Heart Inc., which was established following the death of Imani "Twiggy" Thompson Twine. She was a member of the Decatur High School class of 2011, but died just shy of her senior year of a heart infection. She was a ballet dancer.
They had her photo on display at the race and she was a beautiful young woman, clearly taken away too soon.
I took two weeks off from running after the Monastery 5K. I'm trying to baby my running injury while I keep running. I know that's not the thing to do, but I've got the Peachtree Road Race 10K coming up.
I met my running buddy Jessica at the Greenways trail this morning for about 4.25 miles. We'll do another 4 next Sunday and we should be ready for the Peachtree on July 4. I am going to have to push myself to run a couple of miles at least twice this week. I'm just going to have to take it easy and pray I don't really tweak my hamstring.
And as Jessica and I got in our miles, Jessica mentioned she was interested in the Rock N Roll Half Marathon in Savannah in November. Oh, Lord! Here we go again!
So I'm likely going to sign up for another half marathon soon. What a crazy year this will be!
I truly thought my days of endurance racing was over, but they are not. I may be a lot slower than I used to be, but I'm still crossing the finish line.
It must be my runner's heart that keeps me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment