Saturday, June 8, 2013

The spirit moved me

I ran with the monks this morning.
That means I ran the Monastery 5K, held at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, Ga.
This was really more of a trail run, and it was quite challenging. Mile 2 felt like it was all uphill.
Because it was a trail run, it was a bit crowded at the beginning, until it naturally thinned out. The nice part of the run was that it WAS a trail run and I felt like my legs weren't taking as bad a pounding. It has rained this week, so a bit of the trail was muddy, but not spongy.
There were a lot of families at this race, and there seemed to be some school groups there as well.
And then there were these little participants:

Ready to run?
I don't think these little fellas actually took part in the 5K. I think they, and their human, were there to support someone else on the course. I don't think it would have been easy to push that stroller on the trail.
One bonus to this race was I could buy some Monastery honey at the Abbey Store on site. The monks also make bread, biscotti, fudge and some other goodies on site. One of the monks also makes bonsai trees. And the monastery has an apiary, so local honey was for sale.
When I signed up for this race, I was sure this race would be one and done. I didn't anticipate that I'd want to run it again. But I had a nice time and it was a lovely venue.
I guess the spirit moved me, and now I'll think about doing this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment