Saturday, March 18, 2017

Breakfast Bandits

The Charles Harris 10K was much later this year.
In fact, it made me a little sad that it was.
This year, because of how the dates fell, my 11th anniversary, or as us survivors call it, cancerversary fell on Wednesday, Feb. 22. The date I was first diagnosed with cancer. That meant Saturday, Feb. 25 was soon to follow. That year, in 2006, several friends and I ran the Charles Harris 10K in 45 degree weather in the pouring rain. Then returned to my house for a pancake breakfast.
And a tradition was born. Well, the breakfast part. Not the being diagnosed with cancer part.
This year, we started a team, the Breakfast Bandits.
Six fellow runners ended up at the house for bacon, pancakes, coffee and mimosas. Just two small words about the bacon. Smoke detectors. Both of mine began going off as we cooked up a pound of bacon. That was fun!
The race itself was nearly perfect. Low temps, sunny, no rain or wind. However, since I haven't been running with any regularity, the race was pretty slow for me. Still, I finished and got home in time to start breakfast. It was so much fun.
The Breakfast Bandits
Here's who all attended: Carolyn, me, Dana, Michelle, Angela and Susan. We are a great little band of bandits. Who eat breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment