Monday, December 18, 2017

Last 5K of the year

Well, that little bit of warm winter sure didn't last long!
The following weekend after the One Love, One Heart 5K, Atlanta got SNOW! It started coming down Dec. 8 and continued to snow right on through Dec. 9. A lot of races were canceled that weekend. I was lucky in that I hadn't signed up for any races, so it didn't matter to me.
I did have a race this past Saturday, the Lakeside Viking 5K that usually marks the final race for me of the year.
I ran it with my friend Carolyn and it was bone-chillingly cold that morning. 29 degrees! Made my lungs hurt as I ran.
Cute little boys getting in the holiday spirit!

Me and Carolyn in the nice warm gym before the race at the high school
It was not my best time, at all. I hadn't run in 2 weeks and it showed. This race isn't too far from the house (and Carolyn lives fairly close to the high school as well) but it started at 8 a.m. To get up in the very cold and dark for a race showed how dedicated we are. Or crazy. Your pick.
I forgot my iPod that morning, so my plans to listen to holiday music for this run were foiled. I did't have the holiday playlist loaded on  my iPhone. Alas, the two races in December when I want to listen to holiday music when I run and I only got to do it for the One Love, One Heart race. Oh well! Next year.
Here's to good friends, and even better running in 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment