Sunday, March 18, 2018

Have a nice trip, see you next fall

Well, two weeks ago I fell while running and severely bruised (or cracked) my ribs.
I was running with the Tucker Running Club on its Sunday morning group run and caught my toe on a piece of uneven sidewalk and went down like a sack of potatoes. I landed on my left side, and for good measure, managed to kick myself in the right calf on my way down. Oof! I had to bail on my 3-mile training run and hobble back to the car and home, where ice and ibuprofen awaited.
So, I wasn't exactly ready for the Charles Harris 10K not even a week later.
Honestly, I should not have even attempted it, especially after I looked to see I only had 75 minutes on the course. This is NOT a walker-friendly event. What's worse (for me, with very sore ribs) is it is a point-to-point race, so I couldn't just double back to my car and be done with it, or just do one 5K loop and skip the second. It was all or nothing. If I bailed, I'd have no way back to my car, which was parked at the finish. I must say I did look good at the start with friends Carolyn and Susan!
Carolyn, me and Susan
I even ran into my friend Kellie on the bus that takes us to the start, but I forgot to get a photo of us.
It was a long, slow slog. I came in third from last. I've never been that far behind, but it was hard to run for any length of time. I did finish, so there's that!
Usually after the Charles Harris I host a breakfast, but this year, with it being just Carolyn and Susan, we went to the Tucker Running Club brunch. It was fun. There were LOTS of mimosas afterward. Now that's my kind of running club! Ha!
Brunch group photo
I got out this morning with the Tucker Running Club again this morning for 7 miles. The first four were OK. I thought my ribs were doing OK, but by the last three I was wiped out. Couldn't run at all. Just had to walk. This is not looking so good for the half coming up in a mere four weeks!
On the plus side, I managed to stay upright for the whole seven miles today, so better days are ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment