Thursday, May 24, 2012

The change up

Every now and again, I like to change up my running routes and routines.
I recently did both, and benefited immensely.
The first change up was to my running route. The weather has been a little stormy in the evenings in Atlanta and I was running my usual route around my neighborhood recently when I heard thunder. I decided I'd probably better cut my run short for fear of rain and lightning and turned down a side road I don't normally run. That's where I found this beautiful art as part of a mailbox.
The Phoenix
I just love this art. So cool.
Then last weekend I met a friend and co-worker for what I thought was a 5K run benefiting women with gynecological cancers. I corralled Doug to do it with me, and realized when we got to the event it was not a run at all, but a walk.
Doug and I before our non-run 5K
 We had really wanted to run the 5K, so we decided to forgo the walk and head to a nearby park with a running trail. Doug is a much stronger and faster runner than I am and keeping up with him challenged me in a very good way. Doug was chatting away easily while I was trying to catch my breath during our run together.
But I didn't mind at all.
As a runner, you need to run with fellow runners who are faster and slower than you are to change it up, make your body work in different ways.
I got a great workout and new experiences.
All because of a change up.

No comments:

Post a Comment