Thursday, October 4, 2012

Breakfast with Andy, Part Deux

There are days I really love my job. Today was one of those days.
As a journalist, I do get some awesome perks. Media preview at the High Museum of Art's new "Fast Forward: Modern Moments 1913 >> 2013" was one of those awesome perks. I wrote about the High's last collaborative exhibit with the Museum of Modern Art in New York City several months ago. The one with Fourteen Modern Masters. Lots of Andy Warhol, one of my favorites.
Well, this year's exhibit takes a look at a century's worth of modern art, but in "six slices." Specifically, the years 1913, 1929, 1950, 1961, 1988 and today.
Some of the art in this exhibit include:
Umberto Boccioni's "Unique Forms of Continuity in Space"

Salvador Dali's "Illuminated Pleasures"

Willem de Kooning's "Woman, I"

Marcel Duchamp's "Bicycle Wheel"
 

Ernst Kirchner's "Street, Berlin"

Jeff Koon's "Pink Panther"

Roy Lichtenstein's "Girl With Ball"

Kenneth Noland's "Turnsole"
That Noland piece made me think at first it was a Jasper John's target work, but there is a Jasper Johns work at the exhibit.
I will say, I was more impressed with the Fourteen Modern Masters exhibit, but this exhibit has some really great works, too. One that really knocked me out was in the 1988 gallery, and was a work that used the word AIDS that looked like the Richard Indiana's LOVE sculpture, which I have seen in Philadelphia. Really cool.
I wish I could have spent a little more time at the museum this morning. I think there was more for me to find and study. Looks like I'll have to go back. But I'm sure at my next visit there won't be coffee and yummy chocolate croissants. You know, breakfast with Andy.

No comments:

Post a Comment