Saturday, October 20, 2012

Counting the sunny hours

One of my favorite 5K races was this morning at Historic Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta. That's right, it was time for the Run Like Hell 5K.
It was a cool, crisp morning, but sunny.
I had not picked up my race number and T-shirt earlier this week, so I decided I'd get to the race a little early to make sure I could get them.
The race started at 9 a.m., but I was there about 7:45 a.m. With T-shirt and race number in hand, I had plenty of time to wander the cemetery before the race start.
The irony is, I visited Oakland Cemetery earlier this week. I was having dinner with friends at Six Feet Under, an aptly named restaurant directly across the street from the cemetery. My friend Erin and I met 45 minute early to take a walk together, and we decided to wander the cemetery. The fading light provided a beautiful photo.
Atlanta's skyline in the fading light

The old and new Atlanta
As I wandered the cemetery this morning, I stumbled across this gem. The sun dial was part of a grave marker. And it had rather sage advice: Count none but sunny hours.
Sun dial as part of a grave marker

Count none but sunny hours

The Berman sun dial
The Run Like Hell is pretty much an out and back race down Cherokee Avenue in Grant Park. It runs along one side of Zoo Atlanta.
What makes this race fun is so many people who come out in costumes. This year I saw quite a few "replacement" refs.
The last quarter mile or so really is through the cemetery.
Last bit of the race, headed back into the cemetery
This run wasn't my fastest, but it was spent on a lovely fall day. I'll be counting this day among my sunny hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment