Sunday, October 21, 2012

A tree grows in Atlanta

Another lovely fall day in Atlanta.
No race today, but I certainly got my exercise in. Three hours of yard work this morning and now all I want to do is soak in a warm tub and take a nap. Neither of those things will happen just yet.
One of the chores outside today was to get the Nuttall oak seedling I got at the Komen Race for the Cure in Houston. The seedlings were being handed out to survivors. I had my choice of an oak or pine seedling. Give me a hardwood tree any day!
Then came the puzzler -- could I even bring it back to Atlanta and plant it? Turns out, you can't fly with gels or liquids, but you can fly with a tree seedling. Thanks to Robert and Susan for quickly looking that up on the TSA web site!
I spent more than a few minutes trying to decide where to plant my seedling. I think I walked around the house at least three times, checking on sunlight, where it would grow compared to other trees in the yard, and how close it might come to the house.
I started digging the first spot, but the soil was so compacted and yucky, I abandoned it. Georgia is known for its red clay soil, and it's a wonder anything but the vile vine kudzu will grow in it.
A little further down, I saw some weeds and vines I wanted to clear out near the fence line. I started pulling and realized the soil there was better. So a second hole was dug.
My little Nuttall oak seedling has a new home.
My new Nuttall oak
And so, a tree grows in Atlanta.

No comments:

Post a Comment