Saturday, October 13, 2012

Let's Win the Fight

Another beautiful morning for running in Atlanta.
Spring and fall are truly the ideal times in this city. This morning I ran Winship Win the Fight 5K, a charity race that benefits Winship Cancer Institute at Emory University.
What was great about this race was I met up with four friends.
First, I met Scott Zucker, a local attorney who has written a legal thriller, and the proceeds of the book benefit Winship. I met Scott through my work -- I had a freelance writer do a profile story on him and how he came to write the book. We had emailed back and forth and I was glad to meet him this morning.
Me and Scott Zucker
I also met up with my friends Mary and Erin.
Mary, Erin and me
What's kind of funny about us meeting up today is I know Erin and I know Mary, but I had no idea Mary and Erin knew each other. Turns out, they went to school together in Florida. It's a small world.
But I was really excited to meet up with my long-time running buddy Jessica.
Me and Jessica
I met Jessica shortly after I started working in Atlanta. We met for a business lunch and found out we had running in common. For several years, we ran throughout the week together and ran all sorts of races together.
That changed when Jessica and her husband had twins! We haven't run as much, so it was great to see her today. Here we are on the race course.
Me and Jessica during the race
Here's Erin coming across the finish line.
Erin crosses the line. ;)
And here are all of us ladies post-race. Don't we look fab?!
Erin, Mary, me and Jessica
All of us are talking about some other races we will try to run together.
My day of working out was not over with the end of the race.
This afternoon I began one of my dreaded household chores, staining the back deck of my house. It's a big ol' party deck. It will take me two days to do it, mostly because I get so sore after three hours I have to stop.
As I was finishing up the first half of the deck today I made a rather unhappy discovery. There is a giant hole in the back of the pants I wear to stain the deck. That in and of itself doesn't make me unhappy. These are ratty old blue jeans and I've used them for years to stain or paint. They are well worn.
However, I made this discovery after I had gone to Home Depot to buy some more stain. I ran into the bathroom to look in the mirror. Perhaps the hole wasn't as bad as I thought and no one could see it. No such luck. And I'm wearing bright purple underwear today. Lovely.
As one friend pointed out, "At least you were wearing underwear!"
Well, yes, there is something to be thankful for.
I think instead, I'll be thankful for great running buddies and a perfect fall morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment