Sunday, November 18, 2012

Coming in second

I ran the inaugural Quest to End Homelessness 5K yesterday, and because it was such a small field (which is common for a new race) I came in second in my age group! And I was not a speed queen by any means yesterday.
The race was almost entirely in the park, which is very hilly. That explains why I wasn't so speedy. I had to walk some of those hills.
The race benefits Quest 35 Housing, which helps find housing for the homeless. In this case, the race benefited homeless veterans.
It was a cool, crisp morning. It was a little tough to get out of a nice warm bed yesterday to head over, but I am very glad I did.
I didn't take any photos, and I should have. CEO Leonard L. Adams Jr. was there and he seems to have a fun personality. He was really getting the crowd excited about the race.
I got some nice swag in my race bag, too. I got a jump rope (which I think will actually work. The one I got from another event was plastic and isn't weighted enough to make it a good jump rope. This one is more rope-like, so it may work), I got crayons, and a couple other items.
I was so pleased with coming in second that I treated myself to a new pair of running capris. Other women treat themselves to jewelry or other items. I treat myself to running gear!
I also signed up for the Jingle Jog 5K on Dec. 8. I've run that before. It's fun, but HUGE. It's actually hard to run that race because it is so crowded. But my friend Kellie said she was going to run it with me. I hope she does!
And now a little catch up on "what I've been eating lately."
I've been trying out some new restaurants in Atlanta. Earlier this fall I tried Yebo restaurant + bar, a South African restaurant from the same owners as 10 Degrees South, also a South African restaurant. Yebo, which is in Buckhead, is more of a tapas place, however.
Popcorn with peri-peri salt

Yebo interior

Soaked martini with pear juice, lemon and St. Germain

shrimp & grits
It was a great evening, and I was out on the outside patio, which was lovely.
Last month I went to Article 14 in Midtown and had the lobster roll.
lobster roll
The meal, which I shared with my friend Erin, was yummy. My only complaint was that the roll was very buttered, so my hands got greasy every time I tried to pick up the sandwich. I ended up having to use fork and knife to eat it.
I've tried a few other restaurants this fall, but I'd forgotten to take photos of the food until it was too late (which means I'd already taken a few bites.) Whoops!
I won't have a chance to eat at any restaurants, or run any restaurants in the next couple of weeks, since it is almost Thanksgiving here in the United States.
I'll have to do my running closer to home. At least when I run by myself, I'm assured of coming in first. ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment