Friday, January 24, 2014

Drumming and running

Monday was Martin Luther King Day here in the United States, and for the third year it was the MLK Day 5K in Atlanta.
This year's race was much bigger than last year and much colder!
It was 34 degrees at the start. This race is part cross country, part road race. I dislike the cross-country part because I'm not very good at trail running, probably because I just don't do enough of it.
I ran this race with my co-worker and friend Ellie and her boyfriend Dave, whom I met at the race. Both Ellie and I went to the University of Missouri, and Ellie wore her Mizzou hat. She's lucky I didn't steal it!! I want one!
Dave, Ellie and me before the race
What I love about this race is there is a drum line that is part of the race. This year there were LOTS of drum line participants. The first year and last year, there were really only drum lines at the start and finish. This year, there was motivation all along the way. This race has really grown every year.
Motivating drum line

Keeping us going

Strong support
 I can see that my January races are going to be marked by really cold temperatures. I've got two races this weekend and I don't think either start will be above freezing temperatures.
It has been so cold the past few days, that I saw this near my office as I was walking to lunch yesterday:
Frozen fountain
The fountain really was pretty all frozen, but you'd think someone would have thought to turn it off, if only to ensure no pipes froze or burst!
I'll try to remember the volunteer drummers as I race this weekend, hearing the rhythm in my head to keep my legs turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment