Friday, January 3, 2014

New Year, New Me

Ah, a new year. Such endless possibilities.
First, let's talk about the end of 2013. I spent the holidays with my family in South Carolina, where my father turned 75. How the hell did that happen? Because in my mind, he's my age and I'm a whole lot younger than my chronological age.
Second, it's time for my annual count of my "found money" out of the found money piggy bank.
The found money pig
This year, I collected $4.20. I think that will get me a grande coffee at Starbucks!
Third, I finished 2013 with my neighbors Christine and Christopher, as I have for the past seven years. It's a tradition I have come to cherish. We make a lovely dinner and watch a movie and ring in the new year with some bubbly.
I made butternut squash soup and tiramisu. Christine made pork roast with roasted potatoes and asparagus. it was all so yummy.
I didn't make it to midnight. I went home early, but ended up on Facebook chatting with my running buddy Jessica and ended up signing up for the Publix Georgia Half Marathon in March! I know I'm ready, but I'm planning on running a half marathon in Kansas in April, so this pushes training up my a month. Oh well! It can be done.
On New Year's Day, I was at the start line for the Resolution Run 5K with my friend Angela.
Me and Angela before the race
 We didn't do too badly for this chilly race. Really, it wasn't so bad. It was in the mid 40s at the start. Sure beats last year when it was raining and really cold. I ended up running this race 10 second slower than last year, but I felt good through the whole race, even though I hadn't run in two weeks.
Selfie during the race.
who is that kid with the foam rollers? Me and Angela
I'm pleased with 2013 as a whole. I ran two half marathons, when I thought distance racing was behind me. I had great fun running with my friends Erin, Angela and Jessica, among others.
Geez, I turned 50 and nothing exploded or imploded! :)
In all, I feel like 2014 will be another wonderful running year. After all, it really is a whole new year, and a whole new me.

No comments:

Post a Comment