Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A run to remember

I've completed a race in my 15th state with the LEO Run to Remember Half Marathon in Meridian, Miss.
And it was a run to remember, but it certainly was a forgettable course.
I drove to Meridian, Miss., from Atlanta the day before the race, and met a couple of runners at the hotel where I stayed.
The race is only in its third year, and had a very small field, but it was very friendly.
New running friends Meiyhan and Bob

A little pre-race fun
Both Bob and MiHyang were staying in my hotel. I met Bob that morning in the breakfast area. He's from Pennsylvania and is running a marathon in all 50 states. He's 55, has a pacemaker and one lung. And he SMOKED me on the course! He ran his marathon in a little over 4 hours and it took me just under 3 hours to do that half!
MiHyang was also about 55 and says she started running when she was 48. It was great to meet them.
We hit the road and the first five miles was along a very long highway, which had absolutely nothing interesting to look at.
Along Highway 59
The one interesting part of the course was through the Poplar Springs Historic District, where older homes lined the winding road. Also along the course was one of the carousel horses that dot areas around Meridian.
One of Meridian's carousel horses
Meridian is home to a Dentzel Carousel and the community put replica horses all around. I think there are 36 of them. I meant to stop to see the carousel itself before I left for home, but I got all caught up in loading the car and checking out of the hotel and I didn't. Next time!
After the carousel horse, it was more winding roads and then through another subdivision before we were back toward the soccer complex where the race started and ended.
Along the route

Nearly finished!

At long last, I got to the finish line, at around 2:55, which is just three minutes off my Philadelphia half.
Finisher!

Finisher's medal
 When I got home, I had a wonderful surprise waiting for me. My brother sent a hand-made medals holder. I absolutely love it, and have needed one for a while!
Hand-made finisher's medal rack
I am happy I did the LEO Run to Remember. I will remember it more for the folks I met there, and for the fact is was state No. 15!

No comments:

Post a Comment