Saturday, June 3, 2017

Fun time in the summertime

One of my favorite community races is the Virginia-Highland Summerfest 5K.
Today's race was no exception.
This morning's race was cooler than several I've run at this time of year. Early June in Atlanta can just be brutal.
My friend Michelle said she would not run this one with me because she remembers too well having sweat and sunscreen leave her practically blind after the race.
Well, I finished today and had stinging eyes from sweat. I learned my lesson not to wear sunscreen!
I didn't do too  badly today. I think it was one of my better 5K times this year. The temps were fairly good for this time of year, too.
I didn't get a photo, and I should have, but one of the reasons I love this race is the Kyle Pease Foundation always showed up for this race.
Kyle Pease was born with CP, but his brother Brent has found a way to run with him on major races, including triathalons! It is so inspiring to see disabled runners participating with their able-bodied partners. I found out about this organization through my work, because I know and have worked with their dad, Richard.
Next year I will be sure to get a photo, because the organization is growing. What started with just a few Kyle Pease Foundation runners must have had a dozen this year, or more!
And I always love seeing the artists setting up at Summerfest as I head back to my car after the a race. So wonderful and I get to see it all without the crowds that will arrive later in the day.
I certainly had my fun at Summerfest today!

No comments:

Post a Comment