Sunday, September 11, 2011

Green means go!

This weekend has been absolutely spectacular in Atlanta. The kind of weather we delight in.
As a runner, this weekend has been near ideal.
Saturday morning's Green Awareness 5K saw temps in the upper 50s at the start. And fortunately for me, my speedy friend Michelle helped push me a bit at the beginning of the race through Georgia Tech's campus.

Michelle and me at the start of the Green Awareness 5K
I just wish I could have KEPT pace with her. She went on to win second in her age group!
Michelle gets the plaque!
Turns out, I was no slouch in this race. I posted my second best 5K time this year.
I didn't find any cash during this race. I was too busy running! :)
This morning's weather was also near perfect for running.
I was ready to get out this morning.
I had turned on the news and started watching the coverage of the Sept. 11 memorials and it was just too much for me. Just watching the video of the first tower coming crashing down did me in.
I ran this morning to do my own reflecting on Sept. 11 and those lost on that horrible day.
I hit shuffle on my iPod and the first song up was Simon & Garfunkel's "Only Living Boy in New York." A little later on my run, S&G's "Bookends" played. I started crying when I heard that.
I'm certain "Bookends" was written about the Vietnam War, but the lyrics are so appropriate for Sept. 11, too.
Here they are:
Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you
My quiet reflection on that run included prayers for the families and friends left behind. Sometimes it is very hard to be a survivor, no matter what kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment