Saturday, January 21, 2012

It was an honest mistake

As it turns out, the State Tollway Authority in Georgia does not have a cash back program.
But on Friday, it did for me.
In Atlanta, Georgia 400 is a toll road and I was headed to a business appointment and had to part with 50 cents at the toll plaza to get there.
I've put all of my "found money" silver coins in my purse and pulled out 50 cents in various coins, including one very road weary dime, to pay my toll.
As I pulled up to the toll booth, I hoped that road weary dime would not be rejected by the toll's coin collector.
So when I threw the change in the bin and then heard a funny noise, I thought my fear had been realized and reached into the "rejected coins" slot to retrieve my wonky dime. I could see coins in there.
What I pulled out where two shiny pennies -- only I hadn't thrown any pennies in.
The toll booth arm raised, indicating I could go and I left, with two pennies in my possession.
In my confusion I couldn't figure out why I had two pennies.
Then it occurred to me -- none of my coins had been rejected, and I'd just made off with a "discount" at the toll booth.
I hadn't intended it, but I'd gotten cash back from my toll. :)
Then I had the ugly thought that the whole incident was probably caught on security camera and wondered if I would see blue lights and a cop car to arrest me on the spot.
None of that happened, it's just I have an overactive imagination sometimes.
So, Tollway Authority, before you arrest me... it was an honest mistake!!
My "found money" piggy bank got those two pennies, along with a penny I found this afternoon.
Honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment