Sunday, November 4, 2012

A wrinkle in time

Once again this year, I ran a 5K race I swore I would not run again, but this time, I really enjoyed it.
This morning, at 1:50 a.m., I ran the Anything is Possible 5K. In the states, the race begins 10 minutes before most of the country returns to Standard Time. We "fall back" an hour. So at 2 a.m., it becomes 1 a.m. And all of the runners finish the race before they even started it.
I ran this last year by myself (my friend Nicole was sick and couldn't run) and in very cold temps.
What made this race so much more enjoyable this year were 1) I ran it with my friend Kellie, 2) the swag was a pair of pajama bottoms and 3) it was about the balmiest November night I can remember. It was in the upper 60s when we ran. I wore a T-shirt and capri running pants and about half way through I was wishing I had worn my running skirt!
Now, that temp won't last. We are already supposed to head back down to the low 60s and upper 50s for highs this week.

Kellie and me before the race
 Kellie and I adorned ourselves with glow bracelets and necklaces. Some runners really got decked out with blinking lights and glow sticks. Others were running in their pajamas. One woman ran with curlers in her hair. That was funny. I should have gotten her picture for this blog. I hope those curlers stayed in while she was running!
Kellie is a much faster runner than I am, but what is turning out to be quite nice for me, is she waits at the finish line and snaps a picture of me crossing.
Finishing up
What was funny about the race was the time on the finish line showed your actual race time, but also your "negative" time, with the clocks moved back. The one part that was kind of off-putting in the race was the area where they had set up strobe lights and called it the "Time Warp." Mostly it was hard to see with those strobe lights.

At the end of the race there was food, music and fun. Kellie and I stayed a little while, but then headed home. I put on my new PJ bottoms and hit the bed. Getting up at midnight to go run a race has left me feeling a little bleary-eyed all day.
There was a little pitfall this week in my family's life. My brother's oldest son, Chase, fell and broke his collar bone on Halloween. However, ever the trouper (and a 6-year-old who wasn't going to miss trick or treating), he got out to get his candy. I'm not sure he was able to wear his Batman costume. My brother said he was the "one-armed Ninja." All's well that ends well, I suppose
Chase sporting his sling and Gavin sporting his monkey blanket
If I could go back in time, I think I'd try to prevent the broken collar bone.
But since I can't, I'll just have to settle for a fun "wrinkle in time" 5K.

No comments:

Post a Comment