Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Victory in Virginia

State No. 30 is complete! At long last, I was able to run a race in Virginia.
If you follow this blog,  you'll remember I was scheduled to run a 5K at Virginia Beach in the fall of 2016, but Hurricane Matthew had other ideas. The race was canceled and my family and I had to leave our vacation early to evacuate.
Well, we ended up in Williamsburg for vacation this spring break and lo and behold I found the Victory at Yorktown 10K the Saturday we were there. Now, I would have much preferred a 5K, but there was no 5K option.
The race was cold, rainy and windy: the running trifecta. Not my fastest 10K. In fact, a few seconds slower than the Charles Harris 10K when my ribs were freshly smashed.
I wish the weather had been better because the course was through the Yorktown Revolutionary War battlefield, but it was hard to enjoy the scenery when I was just trying to avoid puddles and plod along in my rain poncho.
A fife and drum corps at the start
 The race started with the blast of musket guns and men and boys in historic costumes. I could only get a photo of the fife and drum corps that played at the start of the 1-mile fun run that started a half hour before the 10K. I missed getting a photo of the the musketeers. Because it was raining they quickly put their muskets back in protective sleeves.
Jill and me at the start
I've always said what I love about running is meeting new people at races. Here is Jill, a real estate agent who was running the race. We got to talking and, of course, I had to get our photo!
Victory at Yorktown monument
The race course passed the Victory at Yorktown monument twice. I got it on the way toward the finish line.
It's raining and windy! Can you tell?!

Finished!

Post race glory. Jill and I celebrate with a beverage
This race had a nice post-race celebration that included hot soup, sandwiches and adult beverages. I had a nice glass of red wine to warm me up after the race. (And some soup, which really hit the spot!)
So state No. 30 is in the books. I finally had a victory in Virginia!

No comments:

Post a Comment