Monday, April 30, 2018

What did Delaware?

She wore her new finisher's medal from state No. 31!
I ran the Coastal Delaware Running Festival Half Marathon April 22 in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.
I'd never been to that state and I'm so glad I picked this race to check off Delaware. Rehoboth Beach is a lovely little beach town. Because it was April, it wasn't too crowded. I imagine in the summer the little place is packed, but in late April before the tourist season it was very pleasant.
I ran this race with my friends Carolyn and Susan. Carolyn is a 50 Stater for marathons, finishing up last year, but she said she ran a race in Wilmington to get Delaware, so this was new for her, too.
Carolyn and Susan invited their friends James and Blanca and we rented a cute little house not far from the main downtown area. We flew into Philadelphia, rented a car and once we got to Rehoboth Beach we didn't get in the car again until we left. It was nice to be able to walk everywhere and have a nice house to relax in. James and Blanca came in from the D.C. area.

Me, Carolyn and Susan

Me, James, Susan, Carolyn and Blanca
Saturday we wandered along the boardwalk, did some shopping and picked up our race packets. We also found the greatest restaurants! Did some nice eating while there.
Sunday morning was race day. Carolyn and I got there a bit before Susan.
At the start
The course was almost and out and back up to Cape Henlopen State Park, so in parts it felt more like a trail run and then we ran over some boardwalks as well. There were large dunes along the course as well. It was nice to see them undisturbed as we ran along the boardwalk.
This was my slowest half marathon ever. Well over 3 hours. I wasn't able to train as well as I should and I've been feeling a twinge in my left high hamstring for a while. I was able to finish, but there was a lot of walking!
Along the course

Near the finish
Finishers!
 The post-race party was nice. We got free pizza and beer (I only had a few sips, and then I discovered the free fountain drinks!) We also got a pint glass with the race logo on it. I love getting pint glasses. I'm drinking my iced tea out if it as I type this blog!
State No. 31 is complete! 

Sun catcher finisher's medal
The finisher's medal has a bit of a sun catcher quality to it, with the translucent blue along the top.
And all weekend I kept remember the children's rhyming game: What did Delaware? She wore her New Jersey. In my case, she wore a mighty fine finisher's medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment