Monday, July 18, 2011

Mystery revealed

Earlier this spring, after I had planted my summer garden of tomatoes, cucumber, eggplant and other store bought seedlings, I had a "surprise" vegetable come up. It certainly looked like squash leaves, but since I had not planted any squash, I could only guess what seeds I had thrown onto the garden over the winter in my lazy way of composting some vegetable scraps.
Well, mystery revealed. I guessed right. Butternut squash.
Butternut squash
I am hoping I will get some this fall, but my squash leaves look like they have some fungus and are starting to die. It's more pronounced on my cucumber plants. In fact, other than this one cuke, I may not get any others at all, even though the plant is loaded with little ones.
First cucumber
I know it doesn't look all that pretty, but it sure was good in my salad over the weekend. I'm starting to get a lot of cherry tomatoes, too, which made the salad that much better. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment