Sunday, July 10, 2011

The summer's first BLT

At long last, my little vegetable garden has given me the first tomato large enough for a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich.
Big Boy variety of tomato

Lunch
I use turkey bacon when I make my BLTs. I love regular bacon, but I can't square the fat and calories from regular bacon.
And then there was this "Bakon" that I got in the office last week.

Bakon
It's a new product out, and a PR woman sent me a sample, hoping I would write about it. Well, I guess I am!
Bacon-flavored vodka. Yes, that's right. Bacon-flavored vodka.
On Friday at 5 pm, three of my co-workers and I tried it in Bloody Mary mix. None of us liked it, and there was a guy among us who openly admitted he'd once eaten an entire package of bacon at one go. We all agreed if we wanted bacon-flavored anything, we would simply put bacon in it. :)
I've been on a bit of an exercise streak lately, and I do think it is because of the Nexercise app I downloaded a while back. It still has some bugs, but it has been working better with my Runkeeper app lately.
With Nexercise, you get "bonus" points if you do different exercises, rather than just one type all the time. And I plead guilty. I tend to just run and walk. I do yoga intermittently, but not regularly.
Nexercise rewards you for diversifying your exercise portfolio, as it were.
So today I used it while I pulled weeds for an hour (yard work counts!). I got bonus points.
Then I wanted to see if Nexercise listed jumping rope. It does.
Now, let me say, Nexercise only credits your exercise if you do it for 15 minutes. Ever tried to jump rope for 15 minutes? I mean, as an adult?
I set the kitchen timer and started jumping rope in an area of my living room where I would not hit anything.
Wow. I had forgotten how HARD it is to jump rope. As a kid, I remember doing this, certainly not for hours, but longer than for 15 minutes -- and not feeling like I might keel over at any moment!
I did get bonus points, but trust me, they weren't enough for THAT experiment.
I've also been really neglectful of weight training. When I was running my best, and watching my times get faster and faster, I was working out with a personal trainer who had me doing all kinds of weights.
So I set the kitchen timer again and spent the next 20 minutes doing push ups, bench presses, chest flies, upright rows, bicep curls, triceps kickbacks, hammer curls, etc.
I am quite certain someone is going to have to help feed me tomorrow morning. If they could, my arm muscles would openly weep. I did get bonus points from the Nexercise app, but I am telling you now, they are not commiserate with the discomfort I know I'm going to feel tomorrow. LOL
So this may be the last blog post for a while. At least until I can move my arms again. Or regain my strength by eating a few more BLTs.

1 comment:

  1. Bacon-flavored vodka? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. The BLT would seem like the meal it would go with if it goes with anything (or maybe a salad of some kind). I'm sore, too. Did 15 min of weights for Nexercise diversity points. My upper body is about as strong as an 8-year-old girl's.

    ReplyDelete