Saturday, July 23, 2011

One new thing

More surprises are coming from the garden. I posted earlier about my "volunteer" squash that came up as a result of my lazy composting.
Well, squash needs a LOT of room in a garden and mine is running out toward the back yard. Since I had to mow today, I pulled up the squash runners so I would not mow them and much to my surprise I saw some juvenile butternut squash coming along.
Butternut squash

\
More squash on the way
 I am glad that I have this squash coming along, because my eggplant is not producing at all. That is a disappointment.
Every year, I try one new thing in the garden. Sometimes that works out well, and sometimes, not so much. Arugula has been a success and I grow that now every spring. The spinach I tried this year was OK, but I won't grow it again.
I had tried Japanese (or Chinese) eggplant for the past couple of years, but it hasn't produced that well. This year I could not find that variety at my local nursery so I tried traditional "Black Beauty" eggplant, but so far lots of blooms and no fruit. Boo!
If I get some butternut squash this fall I will feel like I came out even.
I will have tried one new thing in the garden, even if it was by accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment